Are you considering medical assisting for a career? Well, first you must take courses and pass the Medical Assistant Certification Exam.
The three common certifications that are generally accepted across the country are the:
- American Association of Medical Assistants
- American Medical Technologies
- National Center for Competency Testing
No matter which exam you take, it will be broken up into three subject areas:
- Administrative Knowledge – This includes data entry, records management, and practice finances.
- Clinical Knowledge – This includes patient history interview, administration of medications, and specimen collections.
- General Knowledge – This includes medical terminology, psychology, and professionalism.
It is very important that you study in order to pass on your first attempt. Taking practice tests are a great way to prepare, and it is usually helpful to make flashcards of all the possible questions. They may vary, but some questions that you may find on the Medical Assistant Practice Test are:
1. A medical procedure cannot be performed on a patient until the doctor obtains?
2. The pharmaceutical abbreviation for “qid” means?
3. When treating a chemical burn of the skin, what is the first step?
4. Insufficient blood-clotting cells are known as?
5. Urine flows through the urinary system in which order?
6. Which bone is found superior to the patella and inferior to the ischium?
7. Which abdominal region lies just distal to the sternum?
8. Which describes the body’s ability to maintain its normal state?
9. The cranial nerve that is related to the sense of smell is the?
10. If you touch someone without permission, it is known as?
11. Blood flows from the heart ventricle into the?
12. Adipose tissue is made of?
13. Intermittent fevers are?
14. Hemoccults are used for what purpose?
15. The name of the small vessel is?
16. How many electrodes are placed on the patient when performing a 12-lead ECG?
17. The medication Alprazolam is also known as?
18. What is the first step in blood drawing?
19. Critical supplies for the medical practice are?
20. What is the distance the patient should stand to check eyesight?
21. Gas exchange in the lungs occurs in one-celled air sacs called?
22. An area of dead myocardial tissue is referred to as?
23. Inflammation of the sweat glands is called?
24. Instruction to take a medication “pc” means?
25. A pyloromyotomy is performed in which body system?
26. A patient scheduled for an echoencephalography will undergo a study of the?
27. A patient that has hypergonadism, prolactinoma, and hirsutism is generally referred to what specialist?
28. A cystoscope is an instrument used by which specialist?
29. A patient who suffers from encephalitis is most likely to be treated by which specialist?
30. Word processing software may be used by a medical assistant to create which of the following?
31. Before a medical assistant can refer a patient to another facility, he or she must first verify the patient’s?
32. Coding systems are?
33. Making a note in one file that a paper is in another file is called?
34. The pharmaceutical abbreviation “bid” means?
35. A paramedic informs the medical assistant that a patient had cardiac arrest. What does this mean?
36. When washing hands, the three most important factors include?
37. Korotkoff sounds are evaluated when?
38. In the periodic table, K is the symbol for?
39. Calcium, potassium, and sodium are all classified as?
40. What is the term for an abnormally low white blood cell count?
When you are eligible to take the exam, you must apply through the AAMA website. On the day of the test, remember that there is a time limit. Do not spend more than 45 seconds on each question. If you need more time on one, skip it and go back to it later.
If you have any questions regarding the practice test for this rewarding career, contact us to learn more.